Newest Progress on Rear Paddlewheel Boat
One side done. Not sure if you can tell but frame 1 supports are inset about 1 inch. Kept checking the drawings and could not find where I was in error. Remeasured the frame and found I had cut the slot one inch off center. Replaced that board and everything lines up nicely. After looking at the boat, will add supports along bottom of side as well, this will give the side plywood a good spot to be screwed into. I look at the boat and hope I am not over compensating the sides depth. Last boat had a hull depth of 18" and was riding only about 4" out of the water. So doubled the hull depth.
Decided to add edge supports to give the sides more strength. I felt I might snap one of the frames sides off accidently if they were not supported.
Bow frames constructed and in place with nose piece stringers. Had to extend the guide support to hold frame 3.
Pocket Holes will be the main method I will use to connect the wood. It places the screw to enter the board dead center, and pulls the other piece of wood tight.
These are pictures of the nose piece construction.
These are the measures for the main hull and the bow. For the nose piece I printed out a full scall of the curve and traced it on the board before I cut it at the bandsaw.
Here is first looks at redesign.
After rethinking the weight distribution, I have decided to place the engine and gas tank along the center line, instead of both against the aft bulkhead. Also I am sinking the gas tank into the floor. This will require making a box withing frames 7-9. The first picture is a mock up of the proposed plan. I will have to route the gas fill tube through the engine space to the side.
Below is the new draft plans. Since I am redrawing the boat, I will not notch most of the side frames. Instead of using gussets everywhere, I found a new jig to make pocket holes. Will show picture of that later. While in the mock up, I have decided I want 3' inner side walls, so will be increasing the hull to be 3'6" deep.
Below is the bottom frames on the frame support guide. See the color difference makes it so much easier to tell boat from guide. I was only using the metal shelf brackets to align the frames. I plan on routing a ledge so I can place a plywood bottom for the gas tank space.
Here is the completed Frame guide. I started laying out the frames but all the new wood started looking the same, so removed the frame wood and painted the guide using left over spray apint cans. Placed cross braces to make the guide more sturdy. I notched out the main support guide for the frames.
You all will be happy to know I have started the boat. Begining with construction of the frame guide. I first need to have a square base that is immobile. I made wooden stakes to hold the base in place. Base is 10' x 4'. Will make risers and frame guide supports next. The frame guide support will be leveled. Apartently had a lot more fun on vacation than originally thought. Did not retweek drawings for 1x4s, Oh well, will just go by original drawings and use 2x4s.
Well, finished a two week project for my wife. Made an arch entryway.
I feel sad to have to tell you. but will be traveling again in two weeks for three weeks. Will start boat end of August.
Seems I am traveling a lot. Just got back from Guatemala, where I painted a entire mural room in a doctor's waiting room.
Just got back from a family vacation only to realise I have another trip in one week. Will be putting of boat build till I get back. Vacation allowed me to reread Glen's plywood boat building book, and decided to make frames from 1"x4"s instead of 2"x4"s. Also need to have 6" overlap on gussets. Will just need a little tweeking of the drawings.
Here is the Last boat!
Having to put the boat build on hold till after our family reunion. It is at our house this year and we need the extra parking space. This gives me time to figure out how I want to construct the building frame that I will build the boat on.
OK. Last frames done. Plan to begin building the stand that will hold the build.
Here are Frame 9's dimensions. There are 3 main parts: part A is the outter plywood sheet, part B is made of 2"x6"s glued to part A, and part C is just a 2"x6" glued to the bottom of part B to form a lip for the deck.
Here are the angle for the Aft end.
Alright. Just finished the Nose Form diagrams, which completes the foward half of the hull. Soon as I do frames 9, 10 & 11, I will be ready to begin contrustion.
Just updated plans section and added listing of my favorite boat supplier sites at bottom Plans page.
Found a great sight for metal parts.Bought shaft, mouting bearings, flanges for wheel and gears for 40 chain. This will make the paddlewheel assembly easier, and will not have to weld spindles to plumbing pipe for shaft.
I placed some pictures with dimensions for the new boat parts under the Plans section of the Present Build, along with both of the jpeg and autocad files.